This is my 11th Thursday 13!
- Grapes have been cultivated since biblical times;
- Grapes have grown wild since pre-historic times;
- Grape juice is a concentrated source of anti-oxidants;
- The belief that grapes have healing properties dates back to ancient times, long before scientific research gave grapes disease-fighting credibility;
- Botanically, grapes are berries;
- The Thompson Seedless is the favorite grape in the United States;
- Golden raisins are made from Thompson Seedless Grapes;
- It is approximated that there are 25 million acres of cultivated grapes worldwide;
- If left alone, a grapevine will spread 50 feet or more;
- The world produces an approximate 72 million tons of grapes each year;
- It takes about 2 1/2 pounds of grapes to produce one bottle of wine;
- California produces 98% of the fresh grapes grown in the United States;
- California's fresh grape industry is made up of approximately 550 farmers.
Young California grapes on the vine.
13 Fun Facts about RAISINS
More of Joy Of Desserts' Thursday Thirteens
Happy Thursday to All!
Click for details