Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Easy How To: Storing spices

This post is featured at
Molly Green's Econobusters.com









To keep spices at their peak of flavor, store away from light, air, heat, and humidity.  Place your airtight spice jars in a dark kitchen cabinet.  If you live in a particularly hot climate, you may want to carefully store them in the refrigerator or freezer, being sure to keep away moisture and refrigerator/freezer smells from contaminating your spices.
 
New Spice Rack
"After seeing a picture on the internet where someone used Velcro to make a cheap spice rack, I figured I'd do the same with my spices. It's amazing how much space this freed up in my cupboard." CloneEmperor/Flickr

spice rack project - completed - closeup
"A wooden Napa Valley cassette rack is converted to a spice rack holding 21 different spices. We chose to mount the spice rack inside a cabinet door because the wall locations available were not ideal. Elastic cord keeps the spices from falling out. See the project from start to finish. This project was a featured clever design in Lao Jianhua's blog in Responses to the “Clever Design Solutions” group (Victoria and Albert Museum)." frankfarm/Flickr

10 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that I linked to this post today on the Econobusters (www.econobusters.com) website!

    Thanks for posting this Joy!

    Jennifer
    For Such a Time as This
    www.jennifersikora.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I LOVE this idea! I have looked for a decent way to store my spices for forever. At last, a solution that looks like it would work!! Right now my spices are in a bin and VERY disturbing to look at. :) My only problem is that I rent. I suppose the Velcro wouldn't hurt anything--inside a cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I think we have all had problems with finding just the "perfect" way to store our spices. This one is working well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So let me make sure I understand, each bottle has Velcro on it?
    Do you have Velcro strips on the inside of the cabinet door then?
    And what do you do when you have to replace an empty bottle--a new piece
    of Velcro or do you transfer the new spice into the old bottle?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn: Yes, you got it. There is a piece of Velcro on each bottle. If you look carefully at the picture, you can see the strips of Velcro on the inside of the cabinet door. You would either transfer or add a new piece of Velcro, whichever you prefered. Either way would work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! Thank you for the great ideas. :) Found this from Econobusters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malissa: Glad you like the ideas, and thank you for letting me know that you stopped by from Econobusters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever! Will be sharing this idea with friends. (foud you from econobusters).

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)