Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vintage coconut cookie recipe

Vintage Recipe Thursday is meant to preserve your own original vintage family recipes, or out-of-print, copyright-free recipes from old cookbooks, magazines, newspapers. You're invited! Get the details by clicking to the Vintage Recipe Thursday Homepage. I post recipes from the Household Searchlight Recipe Book, first published in 1931. My 16th printing is from 1943. What will you post?


*************************


I'm sharing more cookies for the holiday season. Just as you probably do, I have lots of cookie memories, from the ones my grandma used to bake for me, the ones my friends and I would bake in high school, the ones my best friend shares each Christmas, or the cookie exchanges at church. Cookies are part of our Christmas traditions. I hope you'll enjoy this coconut cookie recipe, and many others, with loved ones this year as you create new memories and traditions.

Next Thursday will be Christmas Eve, so I will be posting Vintage Recipe on TUESDAY, December 22 in hopes to make it easier on all our busy Christmas schedules, but feel free to link anytime during that week.

Enjoy the holiday season!


Coconut Cookies
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1 cup coconut
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Mix thoroughly. Add vanilla extract and coconut. Sift flour, measure, and sift with baking powder and salt. Add alternately with milk and water to first mixture. Mix thoroughly. Chill several hours. Turn onto lightly floured board. Roll in sheet 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured cutter. Place on well-oiled baking sheet. Bake in hot oven (420 F.) about 10 minutes. 72 servings. Mrs. L. H. McConnell, North Vernon, Ind.

This recipe is also linked to Our Krazy Kitchen's Christmas Party.

Use this MckLinky if you are participating in
Vintage Recipe Thursday.
Please leave a link to your post, not your homepage,
and be sure to link back to this post or blog.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a type of Fruit Cake.I guess I have to start preparing the recipes to find out.Look out.Here comes a great big fat Grampy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to try your cookie recipe here, it almost sounds like it would make the coconut Danish Butter Cream cookies that I like.

    I know your site is about desserts, but it looked like there were also plenty of non-dessert recipes in the VRT archives, so I hope it's okay if I share more than just desserts each week. I made salmon croquettes for my dad last night, and was going to post it to my journal anyway when I decided to join your meme, so I shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy... I am trying to get my wife to write up her mother's recipe for a cookie we made this week... I may actually have a true vintage recipe for you tomorrow (thanks to a guest blogger).

    I do not come from a cooking background, so almost none of my recipes are vintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice- lots of cookies this week! Tis the season...
    Have a very merry Christmas, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grampy: Thanks for the smile. I believe in moderation, and not deprivation. It works for me!

    Family Caregiver: Thank you for joining in. Glad to have your recipe. You do NOT need to have dessert recipes to participate in VRT. Even savory recipes are more than welcome. :-)

    Dave: I'm looking forward to your mother-in-law's vintage cookie recipe. The fact that you "do not come from a cooking background" as you say is what is appealing about your blog. It has an approachable and humorous "if I can do it, anybody can" quality, so don't dismiss that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandmother Wren: Thank you! Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Ben. Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to you, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)