Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rhubarb Pie and Chocolate Cream Pie Recipes Vintage Recipe Thursday -- 10th Edition

Vintage Recipe Thursday is meant to preserve out-of-print, copyright-free recipes from old cookbooks, magazines, newspapers or your own original vintage family recipes. You're invited! Get the details by clicking to the Vintage Recipe Thursday Homepage. I post recipes from the Searchlight Recipe Book, first published in 1931. My 16th printing is from 1943. What will you post?

*************************
FABULOUS! You are going to want this book even if you don't usually drink or entertain much. I'm loving learning all about these cocktails.
MIX SHAKE STIR



*************************

My apologies to everyone for posting this late on Thursday. I got my calendar days mixed up because of Memorial Day! Yikes! I hope that's not premature old age, and that you can all forgive me and laugh out loud with me rather than at me. ;-)

So on to this week's recipes.

How about pie, this week? I was given two beautiful rhubarb stalks so I'll be trying out this rhubarb pie recipe tomorrow. We all love chocolate, so I'm also sharing a chocolate cream pie recipe. Enjoy!

Rhubarb Pie
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely sliced rhubarb
1/2 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup chopped raisins
2 tablespoons melted butter
salt

Combine sugar and egg. Add rhubarb, crumbs, few grains salt, raisins, and butter. Mix thoroughly. Pour into pastry-lined pie pan. Cover with top crust. Bake in hot oven (425 F.) about 45 minutes. Submitted to Household Searchlight by Addie Folsom, Plymouth, NH.

Chocolate Cream Pie
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup water
2 eggs, well beaten (Joy's note: should read "separated"!)
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 square of chocolate

Melt chocolate over hot water. Add flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Combine milk and water. Add slowly stirring constantly, to chocolate mixture. Cook over hot water until thick and smooth. Add egg yolks. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool. Add vanilla. Pour into baked pastry shell. Cover with meringue made of the egg whites and two tablespoons sugar. Bake in slow oven (325 F.) 20 minutes.


YOU are next!
I'll put your link right here if you want to participate.
Please remember to visit the other participants.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the book recco. That looks really cool! Since you're into some eccentric food stuffs, you should check out http://apocalypsecakes.wordpress.com....cakes done in homage to the apocalypse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon: Thanks for leaving your link. I just visited, WOW! I'll bet you liked my Erma Bombeck quote at the top of this blog, "Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart." You'd also like the article I just wrote about a national controversy over a small doughnut shop named "Psycho Donut." Here's the link: http://www.examiner.com/x-9868-San-Jose-Dessert-Examiner~y2009m5d28-Psycho-Donuts-having-crazy-good-time-despite-protesters

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)