Monday, September 1, 2008

Food and Feasting in Art From The Getty Museum

There's a scrumptious new book out for those of us who like to feast with our eyes.

The J. Paul Getty Museum's "Food and Feasting in Art" by Silvia Malguzzi is a beautiful, glossy book. If, like me, you have a passion for art, you will love it, and you might actually hunger for more.

Even with 384 pages, this is a mere introductory taste at the topic of food through the centuries as presented to us by artists like Vincent Van Gogh, Giuseppe Arcimboldi, Pierre-August Renoir, Francisco de Zurbaran and so many more.

You will find topics like sweets, chocolate, fruits, bread, honey, sugar, cheese, eggs, milk and butter.

Find out more directly from The Getty's web page for "Food and Feasting in Art."


Click for details
on the
Bread Round-Up

Add to Technorati Favorites add to kirtsy

4 comments:

  1. I *love* the Getty! This book looks fantastic, I'll have to see if my library has a copy yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun - I have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this tip!!! I'm not only a foodie but I'm also an art historian- so you can imagine how great books like this are to me! Here's another one I love:
    http://www.amazon.com/Food-Painting-Renaissance-Kenneth-Bendiner/dp/1861892136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220531652&sr=8-1

    paola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ames: This book just came out this summer, but it's already on the library shelves in my area, so I hope where you live too.

    Tamy: This book was a lot of fun and educational too. It was an inspiration for my own artwork and even for this little blog.

    Paola: I thought you would like it if you saw this post. :-) Thank you for letting me know about Bendiner's book. I just found it in my library's card catalog and will be checking it out. I doubt you know -- I was an Art History minor (Journalism major). So these books are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)