Monday, May 3, 2010

Pears with crackling caramel sauce microwave recipe

Grandmother Wren has created a new meme for all of us to join in the pleasures of Cooking for Two.  She's a friendly blogger with lots of wise, interesting and fun posts about life, gardening, cooking, crafts, her grand-daughter, her dog, and so much more, so I hope you'll join in the fun and visit new friends.

I'm posting my first Cooking for Two Tuesday a bit early so you get to know about it, and have time to participate too.

This is an old recipe I saved when I was a newlywed and didn't really know how to cook yet.  A microwave recipe was therefore quite appealing, especially since we had just finished college and were now both working full-time.  The original recipe from a grocery store brochure served 4, but it was just my new husband and me, not even a pet yet, so we only made half.  This is our version, slightly modified to our taste buds, and to serve one couple.

For another pear recipe, try my Tasty, Fast, Easy Pears Belle Helene Recipe (pears with chocolate sauce).

I'm also sharing this recipe with:
Mouthwatering Monday at A Southern Fairytale;
Tasty Tuesday Parade of Food at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam;
Tuesday Tastes at Crazy Daizy;
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed with Grace.

Bon Appetit,


Pears with Crackling Caramel
Microwave Recipe
Serves 2

1 large pear, peeled, halved and cored
2 small pats of butter
1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon (just a sprinkling)
Crackling Caramel Sauce (recipe follows)
2 sprigs of mint, or a bit of lemon or orange zest

Place pear halves in a microwave safe dish, with cut sides up.  To each half, spread butter and sprinkle cinnamon.  Cover with plastic wrap and vent.  Microwave on medium-high (70%) for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. (Microwave wattage varies so adjust for your specific microwave.)  Top with Crackling Caramel Sauce, and garnish.

Crackling Caramel Sauce
Microwave Recipe
Serves 2

1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. rum
Additional water

Combine sugar and 1 Tbsp. of water in a glass measuring cup.  Stir.  Microwave on high (100%) for about 1 minute, or until golden.  Let stand 1 minute.  Add rum.  Stir.  Add enough additional water to thin out the caramel sauce (less than 1/4 cup volume.)  Stir.  Pour over pears.

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I've made similar but not in a long time! Too long, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that sounds great! And super easy, which always helps!

    Visiting from Tuesday Tastes - have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fabulous, elegant, and so easy. I'm going to print and try it! Thanks!

    e-Mom @ Susannah's {Kitchen} Aprons
    htt://susannahsaprons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Joy!
    You are truly a faithful and thoughtful blogger friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am bookmarking this post. I have a large pear tree and I always run out of ideas before I run out of pears. I also like to include some easy recipes for using pears when I give them to friends. thanks for sharing this tasty idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good--I love pears and caramel, but never had them together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks SO amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)
    Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Caramel and Pear - I bet that is delish! Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tastes! I love having you! If you get a chance, come back and use the poll in the side bar to cast your vote for the People's Choice Award!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    www.crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)