Thursday, July 14, 2011

Recipe: French eclairs and cream puffs

Today is Bastille Day or French Independence Day so I thought I'd share a French dessert.  My Household Searchlight cookbook which I use each week for Vintage Recipe Thursday is definitely all-American.  There are very few foreign recipes and fewer French recipes, but I did manage to find cream puffs and eclairs.  You can click on the link for the Cream Puffs Recipe which I previously shared.  You'll need it to make these eclairs.  I also have the cream filling recipe at this link.

Both cream puffs and eclairs are very easy to make, so don't be fearful, just go for it.

Make this recipe for any petit chou in your life, and don't believe anyone who tells you that this term of endearment means cabbage.  The French call children or loved ones their little cream puffs.  Much more endearing and romantic than a cabbage, don't you think?

I will be sharing this recipe with Sweet Treats Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Food On Fridays, Fresh Food Friday, Savory SundaySo Sweet Sundays, Sweet Indulgences Sunday, Weekend Showoff Party, Party Mindie-Style Weekends, Mingle Monday, Creative Creations Tuesday, Tea Party Tuesday, Tea Time Tuesday, Domestically Divine, Made it on Monday (Wed-Sat), Share the Love Vintage Wednesday, These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight Wednesday, Whatever You Want Wednesday.


French Eclairs Recipe
Prepare the recipe for cream puffs.  Shape the mixture with a pastry tube into 4-inch strips on a well-oiled baking sheet. Allow 2 inches between the rows of eclairs. Bake as cream puffs. Cool. Cut a slit in the top of each.  Fill with cream filling. Ice by dipping into any desired icing.


1. ECLAIRS, BY LA MAISON DU CHOCOLAT, 2. Pâtissier, 3. Eclair Paris - Chocolat, 4. Éclair au Thé Darjeeling, Fauchon, Shinjuku Takashimaya





Do you like what you see on this blog?

14 comments:

  1. This is fantastic...Thanks for telling me about Bastille Day! I am inspired now. Too bad I have to go to work, however.....I may just have to do something anyway. Hope you are having a great day. Long live ECLAIRS and French Whimsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link party I shared my summer time desserts post for this week. Hope you will come link up at Bacon Time too. Party starts at 2pm on Friday and will go until Monday night. Stop by any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Joy,
    Im back.I love your Eclair Recipe.I wish to make some for us...it really looks good and I know it taste heavenly..yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I wish I had one to indulge in right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your recipe for cream puffs. My mother used to make them when I was a kid and I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my copy of The Household Searchlight Recipe Book! It was actually printed here in Kansas, which is pretty cool. The wild game section is so awesome--try finding squirrel in a modern cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cream puffs look great! Mmmmm! Love your blog title; I take joy in a good dessert.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. last weekend we went to the mall and i was tempted to buy one of my fave cream puffs, but didn't..now that we're going back there tomorrow, am not so sure if my will to resist is as strong, after reading your post and looking at that shot! lol

    thanks for the visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cream puffs. Wish I had the skills to make them. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I linked over from Comin Home. I made eclairs for my French class in high school and have dreamed about them ever since. Can't wait to try this and see if it lives up to my dreams! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have wanted to make these for a long time. Thank you so much for sharing how to. [o=

    Blessings<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking to Bacon Time, these look so good. Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)