Thursday, July 28, 2011

Caramel Ice Cream Recipe

Flickr/daveleb
Here's a recipe to help you (and me) beat the heat. I love to make homemade ice cream, and if you haven't tried it, you haven't realized how easy it is. It is much better tasting than most store-bought ice cream and much cheaper too. I love that I get to control the quality of my ingredients and try out all sorts of wonderful flavors I would not be able to buy from a brand. Children particularly love to make their own ice cream, even if they have to crank a handle to get it. They get fascinated looking at it form into a solid.

Link up your vintage recipes below. Any recipe approximately 10 years or older qualifies.  It could be one for your newlywed days, one from your mom, an aunt, a grandmother. It could come from an old cookbook or magazine, and old recipe postcard, etc. Let us know where you got the recipe and follow the basic blogging etiquette good for any linky party:
  1. Leave the link to your post so that everyone can find your recipe even months and years from now;
  2. Link back to your hostesses in your posts since they link to you. It is mutually beneficial;
  3. Enjoy visiting each other, discovering new blogs and making blog friends. This is what linky parties and blogging are all about.
Caramel Ice Cream Recipe
1 egg
1 cup milk, scalded
few grains of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup thin cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons boiling water

Beat egg until yolk and white are blended. Add salt and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix well. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Cook over hot water until mixture coats a spoon. Remove from fire at once. Cool. Caramelize 1/4 cup sugar. Add water. Stir until blended. Cool. Combine custard, vanilla, caramelized sugar, and cream. Freeze. 4 servings.



Grab this code for the Joy of Desserts button:

Do you like what you see on this blog?

10 comments:

  1. Wonderful recipe you shared today. Perfect for this hot weather. Come over and visit us today. We have a really easy yummy sorbet recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing Dear Joy I want and Ice cream maker, I need one! je!

    Thanksd a lot by your prayers and whishes for my mom! hugs, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy,
    Sounds and looks yummy! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/07/vintage-receipe-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alessa/Tammie: Thank you. I'm always looking for more sorbet/ice cream recipes. I'll be right over. :-)

    Gloria: You're welcome. Wishing you both all the best. Yes, if you don't have an ice cream maker, you do NEED one. I don't think it is a luxury. They have become easy, fast and come is every price range. I know you would come up with the most delicious recipes. :-)

    Sherrie: It's great to have you back. Your mom's candy cookies sound great. Love that it's a stovetop recipe too.

    Lauren: Me too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel is one of my all-time favorite flavors. This ice cream looks like a definite winner to me! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for stopping by and following eating my way back. I am now your follower too!
    I love this link party! vintage recipes are some of my favorites. I will link something up next week for sure!
    erin
    http://eatingmywayback.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just got my icecream maker out of storage will have to try this, I love caramel, not to mention the 108 heat is making me crave ice cream.

    I already know I am going to feature this on Friday. Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy, I think it is time to bust out the cuisinart! Thanks so much for showing off ALL of your yummy ice cream recipes!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)