Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sweet strawberry souffle recipe for your Valentine

Vintage Recipe Thursday is meant to preserve your own original vintage family recipes, or out-of-print, copyright-free recipes from old cookbooks, magazines, newspapers, and postcards. You're invited! Get the details by clicking to the Vintage Recipe Thursday Homepage. I post recipes from the Household Searchlight Recipe Book, first published in 1931. My 16th printing is from 1943. What will you post?


*************************


Are you searching for Valentine dessert recipes yet? This Strawberry Souffle is the perfect color for those celebrating love. It calls for canned strawberries, which I must say, I can't recall ever seeing on store shelves, nor does my husband. Sweet and juicy strawberries have become available almost year-round here in California though, so I would use fresh ones. If fresh strawberries are not available in your area, or the cost for winter strawberries is prohibitive, frozen strawberries would work well since these will be baked anyway.

Happy Thursday!


Strawberry Souffle
1 1/4 cups drained, canned strawberries
6 egg whites, stiffly beaten
4 tablespoons strawberry juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whipping cream

Add salt to sweetened berries. Carefully fold into egg whites. Pour into buttered baking dish. Place in pan of warm water. Bake in moderate oven (375 F.) until firm. Cool. Serve with sweetened, whipped cream to which strawberry juice has been added. If desired, raspberries or loganberries may be substituted for strawberries. 8 servings. Susie Hondro, Wells, Vt.

Use this McLinky if you are participating in
Vintage Recipe Thursday.
Please leave a link to your post, not your homepage,
and be sure to link back to this post or blog.

McLinky AKA Linky Tool has lost all our links.  :-(

7 comments:

  1. That sounds just wonderful. I have seen canned strawberries. Not something I would buy. Fresh or frozen.That is the way to go.
    Come over to Grampys and get some cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love delicious strawberry desserts and yes they are perfect for valentines day thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw canned strawberries at the dollar store and picked up a can - just to see...
    Honestly?
    We were a bit nervous about them -
    they looked oddly ruddy, an unattractive bloody red and smooshy. (yummy - huh?)

    I'm sure frozen berries would work just as well in this recipe and I intend to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds SO much easier than the last souffle I made

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grampy and Grandmother Wren: Thanks for letting me know. I thought they might be mushy. You are saving me from ever trying canned strawberries should I ever come across them.

    Easy picnic recipes: Thanks for stopping by and adding me to your blogroll.

    Annie: Thanks! :-) I love strawberries and I'm quite happy that they are now easy to find even in January and February.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave: Your last souffle looked beautiful and quite worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your recipe. I love souffles and I love strawberries too. What a combo.

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)