Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vintage Recipe Thursday -- 16th Edition -- Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe

Vintage Recipe Thursday is meant to preserve out-of-print, copyright-free recipes from old cookbooks, magazines, newspapers or your own original vintage family recipes. You're invited! Get the details by clicking to the Vintage Recipe Thursday Homepage. I post recipes from the Searchlight Recipe Book, first published in 1931. My 16th printing is from 1943. What will you post?

*************************

July is National Ice Cream Month!!
July is also National Berries Month!!

I have a strawberry ice cream to share this week, and if you have ice cream recipes to share too, vintage or not, I'd like to invite you to participate in the 2nd Annual We All Scream For Ice Cream Roundup. It was so much fun last summer!

Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe
2 cups crushed strawberries
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups thin cream
1 1/4 cups sugar

Combine sugar and fruit. Let stand 1/2 hour. Stir frequently until sugar is dissolved. Add cream and milk. Freeze. Crushed fruit may be substituted for the strawberries.

This recipe doesn't tell you how to freeze the ice cream, so if you need to know how to freeze ice cream without an ice cream maker or machine, click on my post. It's just 3 easy steps!

YOU are next!
I'll put your link right here if you want to participate in Vintage Recipe Thursday.
Please remember to visit the other participants and comment on their blogs.

Joy Of Desserts: Vintage Chocolate Ice Cream
Tamy at 3 Sides of Crazy: Grandma's Old Fashioned Brownies
Gudrun at Kitchen Gadget Girl: Zucchini Pickles


7 comments:

  1. I was having so much fun getting ready for the ice cream round up that I almost forgot it was Thursday. Sorry I'm late. http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2009/07/grandmas-old-fashioned-brownies-vintage.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. posted a Zucchini Pickle recipe, since I am soon to be up to my eyeballs in zucchini, and I am currently pickling everything I can get my hands on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That strawberry ice cream recipe sounds amazing! And easy too. I've never tried to make ice cream and I think you may have just inspired me. Thanks! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl: Thank you for republishing that list. I've left a comment on your site. :-)
    Tamy and Gudrun: Thank you for participating with these great recipes.
    Suzanne: I'm so glad you've been inspired! Homemade ice cream is so delicious and surprisingly easy, even by hand without a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect recipe for me...I just got a huge container of strawberries. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam: Perfect indeed! Our California strawberries are so delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here are lots of ice cream recipes too! Don't forget to plug yourself on Wednesdays at the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)