Saturday, July 5, 2008

Blueberry Cream Cheese Fool

A fool is an English dessert dating back to the 17th century, made with sweetened whipped cream and a fruit puree.

It was also very popular with the American Colonists and it is finding renewed popularity in part thanks to the latest craze of "verrines," desserts served in glasses. Verre is the French word for glass.

Today I'm adding cream cheese to the whipped cream which will make it a bit firmer and very tasty. It is equally delicious and easy using only sweetened sour cream with fruit puree, sauce or jam. Just about any berry or fruit will taste great, so as you can see this dessert is extremely versatile too.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Fool
1/2 cup blueberries plus a few whole for decorating each serving
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar (to taste)
1/4 cup of your favorite dessert alcohol such as rum or Grand Marnier (optional)

Puree or crush blueberries and simmer with alcohol and sugar until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Whip the cream, incorporate the cream cheese and continue whipping until fluffy. Fold in the blueberry puree creating swirls of white and blue. Do not mix in completely as you want to see the swirls. Alternatively, you can create layers of white and blue.

It will be pretty served in glasses, in white or dark chocolate cups or in tuile cookie cups. Top with a few whole blueberries and a sprig of mint.

Bon Appetit!

My blueberry links:

True blue, All-American Stars: 13 Blueberry Facts
Martha's Summer Shortcake
My Scrumptious Sunday Desserts:
Beef! It's What's for ... Dessert!!??!!
Noodles For Dessert With Applesauce Kugel
Cream Cheese & Lemon Flan Is Gourmet Fast Food
Fruity Drinks For A Scrumptious Sunday
Buñuelos -- Traditional Mexican Fiesta Dessert
This Takes The Cake!
A Mother's Day Video
Fruit Pies -- It's Mostly In The Presentation
A Centered, Peaceful, Sweet, But Not Fake, Oatmeal Raisin Cookie
It's Party Time! Let's Have Strawberry Cream Pie!
This recipe is shared with Patti's Comfy Cuisine Blueberry Roundup. 

Many more Scrumptious Sunday recipes are listed at Mercedes Rocks.

13 comments:

  1. I would LOVE this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had blueberries left from the cobbler. Now I know what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All these recipes are making me really hungry! This one sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pictures of the blueberries and raspberries. It looks both YUMMY and patriotic!:)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. YUM--you have such good foods and recipes here! I may have to try some of these! I love it. these all look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even if optional, I'm sure the Grand Marnier would make a world of difference. I'm sure I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi~

    This is actually a question about your Banana Jam recipe from last March~sorry I just found it and you! :-)

    Can you freeze the banana jam?

    Thanks!

    (I'll have to try the Fool too!)

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Vanessa. Welcome to Joy of Desserts, and I warmly invite you to return. I am happy to answer your question. One of the beauties of blogs is that archives are available and posts are never too old to be read and enjoyed.

    Jams do freeze well. Ball and Kerr even make several lines of freezer jam jars. You do not need a special jar though. Make sure you do not overfill and leave at least 1/2 to 1 inch of head space for expansion when your jam freezes. There are also freezer pectins if you do not want to use the regular canning process.

    I have never frozen this banana jam so I cannot give you first hand experience, but I see no reason why it should not freeze well. Sugar and alcohol do change the freezing point, so it will require a colder temperature than for water/ice cubes.

    There are lots of details about freezing jams and canning in general at the Ball/Kerr website:
    www.freshpreserving.com

    Feel free to comment and ask questions anytime. I strive to build a friendly community on this blog and do have lots of kind readers who comment often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's an award awaiting you on my blog. I hope it's as yummy as all your delightful treats on this blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joy: Merci bien par tes belles mots. J'aime bien les glaces comme tu sais déjà. Ce d'abricots est très bon. Si tu as des bons abricots à Californie, le glace sera merveilleux. Une autre recette pour participer à ton event le pochain 18 juillet. Je serai ici, pourtant je pourrais bien laisser le commentaire dans ton blog ce jour lá. Merci et à bientôt. Je suis très contente qu'il te plait le petit cadeau, que j'avais pour toi. C'est un coeur bien doux.

    Ta nouvelle image est si belle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful picture of berries! I went to a Farmer's Market while on vacation-so much fun there! I love any recipe that has cream cheese in it! Thanks for sharing with us at Scrumptious Sunday. Thanks for visiting my Blueberries poem! Great minds think alike-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. am not a fan of blueberries. but it sure looks like you got one great recipe here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good! And so pretty for 4th of July... I know it's tacky, but I LOVE red white and blue desserts on the 4th.

    ReplyDelete

Let's build a friendly community. Thank you for leaving a comment. :-)